Monday, June 3, 2013

Interesting Reads: Born to Run

I know I haven't talked about my running in awhile but believe me it's coming along....barely. I'm really not sure what I was thinking registering for such a crazy challenge but it is now my goal in life to finish it in an upright position. In preparation for this undertaking I have begun compiling a list of books to read that will (hopefully) make me more motivated. The first book on this list was recommended to me by one of my good friends. It was Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall. This book was more than I expected it to be. 


I went into it expecting a book about a group of people who were born to run, who naturally have a better ability to run faster and longer than I can. This book, though it did discuss that sort of information, talked about how we have evolved and how our running evolved with us. It talks about the ultra and how people fuel for it and push through it despite multiple things that can go wrong. McDougall encased all this information in the story of his journey to run pain free through the traditions of the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico's Copper Canyons. The idea of barefoot running is also addressed as well as the evolution of the modern athletic shoe.

It was a very interesting read that I cannot recommend enough to anyone interested in running or learning more about running. I had originally rented it from the library for my Kindle and I have since bought it in paperback form. 

Hope you have a wonderful day dear readers. 

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a little bit of sunshine here for all of us to see.
-B