Monday, June 10, 2013

Interesting Read: Bitter is the New Black

Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomanical, Self-Centered, Smartass, or Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office

"This is the story of how a haughty former sorority gal went from having a household income of almost a quarter-million dollars to being evicted from a ghetto apartment in less than two years.  It's a modern Greek tragedy, as defined by Roger Dunkle in The Classical Origins of Western Culture: a story in which "the central character, called a tragic protagonist or hero, suffers some serious misfortune which is not accidental and therefore meaningless, but is significant in that the misfortune is logically connected."
In other words?
The bitch had it coming."



This memoir of a "condescending, egomanical, self-centered, smart-ass" was recommended to me by one of my good friends Nicole while we were wondering around the bookstore the other day seeking retail therapy in the form of books. At first I was a little bit doubtful that I would enjoy this book though the summary on the back sounded alright and it came highly recommended to me. I am extremely glad that I ignored that bit of doubt because this book was fabulous. It was very inspiring and moving to hear about one women's experience during the economic downturn and how she was able to keep moving forward despite many drawbacks. Jennifer Lancaster has become rather successful through her blog and more memoir style books concerning different life events. 

Her details about how she handled rejection and kept positive (some times) about getting laid off and continuously job hunting have helped me in my current job search. I could not be more grateful for the timing that this book had in my life. I wait with baited breathe for my email to ding saying I can check her next book out at my local library!

Have a wonderful day!
-B

Do you have a favorite memoir? If so what is it and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a little bit of sunshine here for all of us to see.
-B