Friday, June 14, 2013

Biltmore Estate

I had the pleasure this last Monday to experience one of the most magnificent places I have ever seen in the United States. It had the architecture of a French Chateau and the furnishings a grander European past. I am talking about the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. 

Asheville, NC; Biltmore

This majestic Chateau style mansion was built by George Washington Vanderbilt III between 1889 and 1895. According to their website the house has "4 acres of floor space, 250 rooms, 35 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms, and 65 fireplaces."  There are many 16th century tapestries, a library with 10,000 volumes, a Banquet Hall, an indoor pool, and a bowling alley. I really don't believe there are even words to describe the grandioseness of this house and the surrounding gardens, not to mention the expanding grounds, forests, and village. 

Conservatory
 
I was lucky enough to enjoy the gardens first thing in the morning before the sun was fully up and it was relatively dry. After the gardens my mom and I proceeded to the main house. We spent about 2 hours taking the self guided tour of the house. It was spectacular! I could have easily gotten lost if there wasn't signs and a rope to guide us and half of the house is closed off to the public. After the house we continued on to the neighboring Antler Hill Village which contains the Biltmore Winery, a selection of restaurants, the barn and farmyard, and the central outdoor recreation rental. 


Biltmore


For a grand total of $44 (I bought the tickets 7+ days in advance) I got access to the house, the grounds, the winery, endless recreational opportunities, and Antler Hill Village. It was well worth the cost and gave me and my mom a day of fun and excitement to break up our road trip. 

Biltmore
 
If you ever have the opportunity to stop by I would highly recommend it! Check out more here

Happy Travels!
-B

Do you have a favorite historical place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a little bit of sunshine here for all of us to see.
-B