Monday, November 18, 2013

Real Life: Disappointment

Disappointment: the feeling of sadness or displeasure caused by the non-fulfillment of one's hopes or expectations.

Life is full of disappointment and I thought I realized that but after the last few days I do not think it had fully been ingrained in my mind. As many of you know I am in the job hunting mode of my life. This means interviews, endless applications, and ... very few call backs. 

Honestly it is the very few call backs that really get to me. I have always been taught that it is rude to ignore people and the fact that many companies do not even send a "Thank You But You're No Longer In Consideration" email boggles my mind. In the last 8 months I would say that I have applied for about 50 different positions. Of those I have gotten 4 "Thank you for applying but we think someone else is better" emails. 4 out of 50!!! That is 8% of the places that I have applied who have cared enough to let their applicants know that they are no longer interested in them. One of these was from Disney and let me tell you that email hurt the most. I had applied for a position at the beginning of September on a whim not thinking I would get it, because of how competitive a position it is, but I applied anyways. I got the email a few days ago right after I had gotten home from my part-time job. The longer it had been the more excited I got that maybe this was going to happen. Alas, it was not meant to be. This is something I am becoming a little bit too used to. However, I am keeping my chin up and trying to see a positive side. (Like all the running I get to do. Especially at the park.)
A Morning Run Can Be Fun
I've been dealing with this disappointment and frustration mostly by running and doing puzzles. I've run more in the last week than I have in the last month. I've also done more puzzles in the last week than I have in the last three months. It is best to focus your frustration on things that you can control.. like running or puzzles. (I am very original. Can't you tell?)
 
Disappointment is a part of life. The sooner we realize the sooner we can start living it to the fullest. Live life like there is no tomorrow. Carpe Diem. And all that jazz. 
 
As always, Happy Travels!
-B


“If I am to meet with a disappointment, the sooner I know it, the more of life I shall have to wear it off.”
― Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a little bit of sunshine here for all of us to see.
-B