Friday, August 23, 2013

Beautiful West Virgina ... and Then Some

I know I am finally getting around to telling everyone about my epic road trip!!
 
During my long adventure across the States I had the opportunity to stop at my Aunt's house in West Virginia for a couple of days. We mostly had large family gatherings and ate a lot of delicious food. Though my mom and I stayed at my Aunt's house we got to stay out in their cabins! So this was the view out my door the couple of days that I was there:

Beautiful Morning Mountain View


This was the view from the front of their house and I must say it is quite appealing to me to have a view like this every morning. However, I don't know if I could live without cell service. (Yes, I realize I am a wimp.)

Good Morning Sunshine

On the drive out of West Virginia the decision was made to stop at the Tamarack. The Tamarack is a cultural center of sorts that exhibits artisans and craftsmen from all over West Virgina in a uniquely designed building specifically for this purpose. According to their website the "Tamarack’s unique building was designed by Clint Bryan, AIA & Associates.  From an aerial view, it resembles a starburst quilt pattern, appropriate in a state known for the time-honored tradition of quilting.  Approaching on foot, the multiple peaks of the façade echo the craggy West Virginia terrain." I'll let you be the judge of that.
Tamarack in Buckley, WV
There was so much to look at that I felt a bit overwhelmed but my favorite part came at the end of my visit to the Tamarack... FOOD!!! 
Fried Green Tomatoes
It might seem unbelievable to some but before this point I had never had Fried Green Tomatoes. I know I know but you must realize that growing up in Oregon this was not high on the list of food to consume. Alas I am here to tell you that they were rather delicious. (It might have been because the food court is managed by the Greenbrier, which is an elite resort in WV.) I also tried their Chicken Pot Pie with Herbed Crust which was yuumy and hit the spot of a slightly weary traveler.
Chicken Pot Pie
The next major stop on my journey was Chicago... to come later. 
 
Happy Travels!
-B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a little bit of sunshine here for all of us to see.
-B