Thursday, August 19, 2010

Roma Round 2

The summer has gone by so quickly. So for my last weekend trip I wanted something excited but easily accomplished. Me and my travel buddy Katie decided that Roma met these requirements since there was a few things that we didn’t get to see the last time that we were there. To start off we took a mid-morning fast train from Napoli Central to Roma Termini. Upon arrival in Roma we went to our hostel to check in and drop our bags off. Our first stop after that was San Pietro in Vincoli or Saint Peter in Chains.

This is a church that from the outside one wouldn’t think held anything magnificent but one would be mistaken. San Pietro in Vincoli holds the chains of Saint Peter which bound him in Jerusalem and Roma. The church also holds Michalangelo’s Moses. This church was the main reason that I wanted to come back to Roma but it was a good decision all the way around.

Next on our list of things to see was the Mouth of Truth. It is said that if a liar sticks their hand in the Mouth of Truth it will be bitten off. The exit for the Mouth of Truth is through the church that it is located at which is Santa Maria in Cosmedian.

The church was a hidden gem that I am glad we took the time to explore. I don’t know much about this church but I would like to learn more. The third stop in our Roma voyage was the Pantheon which we had sadly missed on our last trip. The Pantheon if you have never been is a rather awe inspiring building. It was originally a pagan temple but now is a Catholic church. That one building can go through so many changes is amazing.

The last stop on our Roma was the Capuchin Crypt. This is the crypt of the Capuchin Monks. They have made art work out of the bones of the monks who have died and been buried in the holy ground for awhile. To see this you would think it was a little creepy and in fact it is a little creepy, at the same time though it is a spectacular accomplishment of art work. The best thing about all that we did is that it was mostly free. We had to buy a metro pass and a couple of places asked for donations, other than that the weekend was rather cheap. To make the weekend more expensive we had dinner at Hard Rock CafĂ©. This was my first Hard Rock experience at let me just say that I enjoyed it, especially since I haven’t had a good American hamburger and fries since I left the states 2 ½ months ago. So ended our Saturday in Roma! Sunday we just a relaxing day spent wondering around Roma. My weekend ended rather early but it was beautiful and I would do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a little bit of sunshine here for all of us to see.
-B