Monday, January 20, 2014

Why was I Dopey?

If you had told me a year ago that I would run a marathon in the next year I probably would have laughed at you and said you were crazy. I mean why in the world would I want to run a marathon? A half-marathon maybe but a marathon? Yea, right! And yet here I am on January 20, 2014 having already run a half-marathon and a marathon. Both things that I had never done before. This prompted me to think about why I decided to sign up for the Dopey Challenge and run a marathon when I've never had a desire to do one.

Why I signed up for the Dopey Challenge:
1. It included two inaugural events (10K and Dopey Challenge) and lots of shiny medals, both of which I am a sucker for. I mean just look at all the bling I got! 


2. My friends are very persuasive and once you do one runDisney event you want to do many many more. They are just that much fun!

3. When I registered last spring I was unsure if I would still be in Florida and figured it was a solid way to make sure I would be able to go back and visit. This plan seems to have worked because I got to visit my friends and have wonderful amounts of fun!

4. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do this. No matter what else was happening in my life I could complete the Dopey Challenge and live to tell about it. And guess what... I DID!! I have never felt better about myself than I did the day after completing the marathon. I was on cloud 9! (At least when I could get out of bed.)


The Dopey Challenge was one of the most reckless un-thought out things I have ever done and though I'm not sure I will be signing up for next year's (unless I get talked into it again) I am glad that I did it this year. I would not trade the feeling of holding that medal and being able to do this with one of my best friends for anything. Thanks for pushing me to be great Elena!

xoxo
-B

P.S. The picture of my friend and I was taken after dinner outside the restaurant. It should have taken us 5 minutes to walk from our hotel room to the restaurant.... it took us 10. C'est la vie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a little bit of sunshine here for all of us to see.
-B